Jody Michael: Professional Bio
Jody Michael, MCC, BCC, LCSW, ELI-MP
- CEO and founder of Jody Michael Associates, established in 1996
- 20+ years coaching executives and leadership teams, with more than 35,000 one-on-one coaching hours
- Fortune 10, 100 and 500 C-level coaching and consulting experience
- Master Certified Coach (MCC): Highest international commendation awarded to coaches by the International Coach Federation (ICF); this distinction is held by fewer than 3% of coaches in North America
- Board Certified Coach (BCC): A credential awarded by the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) to those who have met professional coaching competency standards related to training, experience, ethics and continuing education
- Founding Fellow at the Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School Affillate
- University of Chicago-trained psychotherapist with 16+ years of experience
- Master Practitioner - Perceptual lens assessment (ELI-MP)
- Licensed clinical social worker
- Author, trainer and international speaker
- 15 years of corporate leadership and management experience in the finance industry
- 12 years as a Chicago Mercantile Exchange options trader/broker
- Appeared in FLOORED, a documentary about the history of floor trading
- Featured in National Public Radio's (WBEZ) Closing time for Chicago's trading pits and Are some people hard-wired to take more risks? series
- Appeared on MSNBC Primetime, PBS, CNN, Discovery Channel, the Today Show and Good Day Chicago
- Featured in Crain's Chicago Business, The Huffington Post and Chicago Tribune
Jody Michael was born a trailblazer; as one of the first female traders on the Chicago trading floors and one of the first coaches in the country to participate in an intensive, three-year ontological coaching program, she has challenged the boundaries of convention. Today, she continues to challenge boundaries: As a leading executive and organizational coach, she is passionate about delving deeper and pushing beyond the conventional standards of coaching to incorporate human behavior, psychology and neuroscience to facilitate systemic change.
In the executive coaching world, she is a rare breed: 15 years of corporate leadership in the finance industry; a psychotherapy/human behavior degree from The University of Chicago; the distinctions of both Master Certified Coach and Board Certified Coach; a Founding Fellow at The Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School Affiliate; and more than 20 years of coaching experience, logging over 35,000 one-on-one coaching hours.
While in the finance industry, Ms. Michael worked for Goldman Sachs, Chicago Research and Trading (CRT)/NationsBank and Kidder Peabody. She managed 110+ employees on three Chicago trading floors and played a key role in the leadership, management, cultural acclimation, growth, support and development of floor operations for both Chicago and New York Government Securities operations. In addition, she developed and implemented a career development division and a new employee orientation program to foster and support cultural organizational objectives.
She has since consulted and coached in a wide range of organizations, from Fortune 10 to small businesses, and she has worked with many market leaders including BP, Abbott, Accenture, Sara Lee, Motorola, Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Blue Cross Blue Shield, General Mills, The Dial Corporation, Leo Burnett, Mesirow Financial, Spot Trading, Avnet, Mayer Brown, Forsythe, Hitachi, Northwestern University, Stepan Company, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Lucien Lagrange Architects, Kraft Chemical Company and Gardner Carton & Douglas.
Jody Michael has taught, lectured, led workshops and participated in panel discussions at The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business and School of Social Service Administration, Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, Loyola University Chicago, DePaul University and Chicago Public Schools on a wide range of topics including family systems, neuroscience, the brain and change, linguistics and accountability, and successful entrepreneurship.
Ms. Michael earned a master’s degree from the University of Chicago, where she also pursued PhD studies in clinical social work. She acquired coaching certification from the Newfield Network and completed a three-year advanced degree program, Ontological Business Design, studying under Dr. Fernando Flores and Julio Olalla, thought leaders in the field of executive coaching and founders of the ontological coaching methodology.
If you’re ready to achieve your greatest goals, we encourage you to contact us.
What are your favorite professional books?
Not fair – I have many, many favorites! Here is a handful:
- “The Three Laws of Performance” by Steve Zaffron and Dave Logan
- “Maslow on Management” by Abraham H. Maslow
- “Let’s Get Real or Let’s Not Play” by Mahan Khalsa and Randy Illig
- “Leadership and Self-Deception” by The Arbinger Institute
- “Immunity to Change” by Robert Kegan & Lisa Laskow Lahey
- “How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work” by Robert Kegan & Lisa Laskow Lahey
Who do you admire most?
Individuals who create the life they want and live it authentically without concern for others’ approval.